Friday, August 28, 2026

I'm Still Here (2024)

 
I'M STILL HERE  (2024)  ¢ ¢ ¢ ¢
    D: Walter Salles
    Fernanda Torres, Luyiza Kosovski, Selton Mello,
    Cora Mora, Augusto Trainotti, Fernanda Montenegro
"I'm Not Here" is about a woman trying to find out what happened to her husband who's disappeared in Brazil during the dictatorship. The husband's a former senator who's been abducted by agents working for the police or the army but who look and act more like regular kidnappers. The woman's forceful in a way that somebody with less affluence and status might not be, but that's not enough to prevent her from being taken into custody and interrogated herself. A harrowing look at a political system where dissent is silenced, resistance is crushed, and the key to power is stoking pervasive fear. Think that can't happen here? We'll see. An Oscar winner for best foreign language film, with a commanding performance by Fernanda Torres in the lead. Fernanda Montenegro (Torres' mother) has a quietly moving cameo late in the film.