Sunday, August 25, 2019

Phantom Thread (2017)


PHANTOM THREAD  (2017)  
¢ ¢ 1/2
    D: Paul Thomas Anderson
    Daniel Day-Lewis, Vicky Krieps, Lesley Manville
A waitress becomes the model, muse and mistress of the world's fussiest man, a fashion designer played with fastidious precision by Daniel Day-Lewis. It's a comedy of manners (I think), and there are a few amusing moments, but not enough of them. Like Day-Lewis's performance, it's a movie that feels calibrated to within an inch of its life, and while it's easy to admire the craftsmanship involved, I found myself in the last 20 or 30 minutes picking out spots where I thought it could end, and wishing it would. I also found myself thinking that Day-Lewis in this film looks like a guy who could be Arnold Schwarzenegger's skinny kid brother. Except that Arnold would be looser and funnier. And he'd break a few heads.